What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Trippin' on Tryptophan

Ok, I'm not so stellar about the updates. What to do? It's been busy.

I did Thanksgiving in Columbia and it was the first time I had been back there since I moved up this way in February. Everything has changed - yet it all remains the same. The parents went on an interior decorating spree and painted everything in sight, pulled up carpet, put down wood flooring and a few other select adjustments. I couldn't believe it - it's still the warm, cozy house that I grew up in, it just looks super trendy and modern. We have been in that house since, well, before I was born. It got me thinking-what makes a house a home? I took my first steps on the driveway, I used to run in the sprinkler in the yard and let's just face it - I'll always be scared of the attic room for no good reason. There are all these memories tied to one place, one fantastic place, and I guess that's what makes it a home.

The Thanksgiving tradition went on as usual, we don't cook on that day, rather we go out to one of my favorite cafeterias and get 4 meals (2 for me...you know lunch and dinner, 1 for mom and 1 for dad) and we take it home, put it on plates and eat Thanksgiving dinner around the dining room table. In my eyes, you just can't beat that. I guess the thought process is that there's no need to cook an entire Thanksgiving meal for three people and a big turkey for two people (mom's a vegetarian). Afterwards there's usually some napping and t.v. watching involved. The next morning it's up early to do the Black Friday shopping. Mom and I are crazy, we know, and we like it!

Back to the point of all of this...I realized while I was in Columbia that it will always be my hometown, but what I consider home now is Arlington. I have already tied this place to several fond memories and I am looking forward to making many more.

-------------
Last blog, AB called me out on the new background for this blog in her comment. I guess there were several reasons for it, but the past few months I have had a "mkp Renaissance" of sorts and it has shaken my world up and kept things quite exciting. Change is good. Change is very good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home