What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Friday, September 15, 2006

Pink...

is the new corporate.

I shall elaborate. I was in Target shopping the other day and passed the toy section - it's still as it was when I was a child, boy toys and girl toys. Boys were defined in blue, girls in pink. Boys had legos and girls had barbies. It was all so ridiculous, given that toys shouldn't be gender sterotyped. Neither should jobs.

This morning I was in a meeting with upper-level executives. I was looking at the people sitting around the table and quite proud of the organization for which I work. There were a pretty even number of guys and girls. (More surprisingly, there was quite a diversity of people at the table). What struck me as fascinating is that the people who are running the show up there are all women who have men working for them. I was thinking about how dynamics and paradigms shift constantly in the world. Granted, this organization was never a "good old boy" organization like I've seen so many times in other places - namely the South - but it made me wonder...when did this all happen? Not that I'm complaining as this bodes quite well for me, but looking back historically, men have usually held many of these upper-level positions. Of course, a title is just a title - you can be the SVP of Crap and you're still an SVP, but the women that I was observing this morning, and who I've engaged in conversation with many times, weren't bull shitting around. They know their stuff, they do their work and they have this "never say die" attitude. In the end, I shouldn't be surprised by any of it since the American branch of the organization was founded by one woman's vision. It's empowering and awe-inspiring at the same time to see these amazing women making such a huge impact on the organization and ultimately on the entire world.

I can't wait to play with the legos.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Jay said…

    when you're president of the u.s., can i be secretary of state? i think i can take a swing at this middle east turmoil. i love you.

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger Ranjit said…

    Then I want to be the person in charge of alcohol, tobacco, and firearms. There is no better party than one that includes all 3, and I get to be in charge of it, biyatch!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home