What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Click, Click

That's the sound of the shutter on my Cannon Rebel camera (on manual focus). To me, it's one of the best sounds in the world.

The other day I passed up watching various athletic events on television and decided to go outside and take advantage of the beautiful day. Seeing so much sunlight was insipiring and uplifting, given that it had been gloomy for an entire week. I decided to dust off my trusty camera and see what I could do. As I was loading the black and white film all of these feelings, thoughts and ideas came rushing back to me. That's when I realized how much I missed my one true artistic passion - photography.

I remember my dad handing me a camera when I was 8 and teaching me the basics. To get more specific knowlege, I went to photography camp (dork!) to learn more about how cameras worked, lighting techniques and how to frame different shots.

Flashing forward (ha, get it? flash?)...I was the photography editor of the newspaper and yearbook in college. I actually miss those days in the darkroom with the staunch smell of chemicals and the dull red light. I miss being out on the football field snapping images with all of the professional photographers from the media. I miss catching the candid photos of students - laughing among friends, talking with professors and fountain hopping. There were so many memorable experiences, all of which I captured on film and all of which are preserved in the records of the school. I guess it was my way of leaving a little legacy, so a piece of me will always be there. And to this day, I still feel that photographically documenting a moment in time is probably one of the greatest gifts we can give future generations.

Anyway, it felt really good to just get out there and start taking random pictures again. I always tend to see things differently from behind the lens. Of my cherished hobby, I did reach the conclusion now that I've had it, lost it, and gotten it back - I most certainly don't intend to lose it again.

---------
As a side note (and many of you already know this), I always wanted to be a lightning photographer. I always thought it would be exhilerating to chase down a storm and take pictures of lightning striking stuff, but then it occurred to me that the lightning could actually strike ME, and that's not so good.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger Sheets said…

    I never knew this about you!!! What a very very very cool hobby. Perhaps with a little coaxing you could either include some of your snaps in your blog... or! start a photo blog!!!!!! Either way I would love to see some of the moments you've captured!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home