What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Rocking the Vote

Remember when MTV jumped on the voting bandwagon to try to appeal to the younger audience to get out there and make their voices heard? Well...it worked and it stuck with me. I remember voting in my first presidential election. It was so thrilling and made me feel so powerful.

Up until a few days ago, I was concerned that George Allen would beat out Jim Webb for the U.S. Senate seat. I voted against Allen out of spite, sadly enough. That was incredibly wrong - I'm usually one to figure out the issues, see where the candidates stand, do the comparative analysis and then vote according to who I think is best for the position. I totally bypassed that process during this election and went to the polls with a mission to vote against Allen. In total honesty, I would have voted for yellow dog before I voted for Allen. It's tragic (but not really) that one mistake, one racist remark can screw you out of your position. Maybe he learned a lesson from all of this - when you get elected for an office you represent all people and when you insult those people, they don't want to have you as their voice, so they will speak up and out against you and it WILL work. Oh, and mad props to Webb's PR people because I saw a picture in the WaPo of him making dosas surrounded by Indians. Well played.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger archana said…

    ummm?! that's it?! no comment on your new look?!

    agreed about allen and the election though. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home