What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Stressy

The Travel Gods must be laughing their arses off.

Life is just a series of lessons, waiting to be learned. There was a situation that was less-than-fantastic this past weekend and I discovered a lot about myself and NC and our dynamic. I never intended this to be a "relationship" blog, Lord knows it's been so long since I've been in a real one. But, I can't even express how well I'm getting to know myself, not as just me, but me WITH someone else. It's like a whole new side of me that I'm not familiar with.

So, we're hanging out at BNA (Nashville Airport) and come to find that our flight has been cancelled due to snow in DC. I get up to the desk at the gate and he gets on the phone - we divide and conquer. I got us seats on the flight out the next morning (which we knew wasn't going to happen since he had to get to work at 6 a.m. the next day) and then I went to the Southwest counter and bought two refundable tickets to get us to Baltimore that night since he was still on the phone and the situation didn't look promising. Finally, he got us rebooked on a flight to DC, but for later that evening and through Philly. Things just weren't looking up at that point. We got to baggage claim, picked up my bag from our original flight and then came decision time. It was a crap shoot and the timings were all wrong. Fortunately, we were on the same page, and decided to just go for the Nashville to Philly to DC flight and worst case scenario we could drive from Philly. Turned out to be the right decision and flew into DC at 2 a.m.

I know that was a lot to weed through, but the situation was pretty stressy. What I noticed first was his calmness, which in turn made me pretty calm too. Those of you who know me, know how stressed I can get when things don't go to the plan. So, there's a lesson learned - be more flexible and roll with the punches. Second thing I noticed was his sense of humor. We laughed through most of this experience since, well, that's about all we could do. When all else fails, just smile. Like his mom said when we called her, "just keep a positive attitude, it will make a difference." She was right. Lastly, I truly enjoy traveling with someone as opposed to traveling alone. It makes the time go faster, so any trip I take now, if not with him, then I'll invite someone to go along with me (if they are up for traveling with the mkp).

----------------
I believe I've found someone who loves me not in spite of my flaws and quirks but BECAUSE of my flaws and quirks. There's a huge difference between the two.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM, Blogger Jay said…

    maya, i haven't talked to you in a while. i miss you. hopefully i get to come up to d.c. again this semester.

    love,

    jay

     

Post a Comment

<< Home