What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Just get it...

A few days ago, I registered for what will be my...let's see '96,'98,'00,'01,'02,'03,'04,'05,'06, yep, '07 makes 10...tenth Konkani Convention (this is youth and regular ones combined). Insanity. I'm not the only one with this impressive track record. I believe RS also has it along with UR.

I've been reflecting on the meaning of these and my motivation for going. I remember I was forced into going to the New Jersey one in 1996. Initially I was not so happy about this, however, it opened my eyes up to the fact that there were other Konkanis all around the U.S. and not only other Konkanis, but other Konkanis MY AGE. That was key. And they are normal (well, I use that term loosely -ha!). I still had my ounce of cynicism that I kept on me at all times. I didn't completely buy into it.

It wasn't until the 1998 convention in San Jose where I started breaking out of my shell a little bit. That's where I met some of the people I'm closest to today. I can't imagine my world without them and would never want to. These are friends I know I'll have well into adulthood. That base of Konkani friends only grew over the years, so the motivation changed from going to please my parents into going because I wanted to see all my peeps. It was also nice being able to reconnect with some family members. The dynamic at the youth conventions is a little different in that you can truly relax and meet and mingle without the parents dragging you to meet "this other uncle or auntie." At any rate, the SJ convention was a real turning point for me - the Konk conventions had me hook, line and sinker.

If someone were to ask me why they should attend, I would say to feed the curiosity. Don't worry about the "matchmaking" b.s., don't worry that there won't be people "like you" (in fact, we're ALL like you) and don't worry if you don't know anyone - that's what the icebreakers are for. I've heard all of the excuses, heck, I've used the excuses myself at one point or another, but the bottom line is that it's nice to be able to relate to people who are like you, who dealt with what you dealt with growing up and who just kind of get it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home