What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Material Girl

While on the metro yesterday, I heard this song blaring from someone's iPod. I had to laugh for several reasons:

1) Why can I hear your music? Seriously. That's loud.
2) I heart 80's Madonna.
3) It made me think about how ridiculously productive I was over the weekend.

It was time for a spring...er...winter cleaning in my apartment. It was also a good time to do it since it was all of 10 degrees, so I wasn't missing anything outside.

Long story short, I threw away a bunch of unnecessary belongings. I had to cut the clutter - I don't like to be a pack-rat, but I have that quality about me. I keep a lot of things that I don't need for "sentimental reasons." I guess it's time to get rid of it when you can't even remember the "sentiment" behind it. It also reminded me of a great conversation I had with my Ajja when I was in Nashville. He was discussing his non-attachment to material possessions. It was enlightening to say the least. That's what spurred this inital clean-up.

This purging of the stuff was completely practical. For starters, I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase a home. I learned the all-important lesson when I was moving up from North Carolina -- the less stuff you have, the easier it is to move it. Logical enough. Regardless, less stuff, better "chi." I'm down with that.

Speaking of buying a home (which admittedly is a material possession, but you've got to have a place to live), NC and I went to a home buying seminar last night. Holy goodness, there's so much to think about...location, cost and one day school districts will matter! ACK! Anyway, there are so many pros and cons, but the one thing that I love most is also the one thing I hate most - the place would be mine. That's a good thing because it would be my very own home to do with what I pleased and a bad thing because it would be my responsibility to get all the maintenance done. That's the nice thing about living in an apartment. If something goes wrong, I fill out an online form and within 24 hours, the problem has been fixed.

There's a definite upside. I've been doing quite well with managing my finances, so affordability isn't as much of an issue as I imagined it would be in the places that I would like to live. And, as described by the realtor last night, people who buy houses get ridiculous tax breaks since the government likes it when you purchase (helps the economy). I've always been the type to want a house - I enjoy the nesting process immensely. But for now, I think I'm just going to continue getting rid of stuff in my apartment and try to be the un-material girl.

----------
Anuzi's blog makes me hungry.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger AnuZi said…

    Well this would ofcourse means you will have to invite yourself over for dinner! seriously whenever you want...just holla atcho gurl!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home