What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Monday, October 29, 2007

4 o'clock Club

In college, we had something called the 4 o'clock club during Beach Weekend. It's basically when we would all run into the ocean at four in the afternoon while stripping and we would frolic until the police came and told us to stop.

When I was driving away from Union Station at 4 o'clock this morning I was reminded that I'm in a new 4 o'clock Club now. NC takes the 4 a.m. train on Monday to get back to NYC to be at work by 8 a.m. Of course I'm never going to make him take a cab, that would be just awful. I'm a firm believer in the fact that you'll do anything for the people you love and that includes driving them to/picking them up from the airport, train station - you name it - and at any odd hour. Anyway, I was also reminded this morning that Anuzi did this too for a while. So, a new 4 o'clock club emerges.

I was reflecting about this all on the way home...
1) I really, really appreciate NC for even taking the 4 a.m. train. It would be all to easy to leave on Sunday night; however, we both want to spend every minute we can together and this makes it possible.
2) DC is absolutely gorgeous when it's dark and the monuments are all lit up.
3) There aren't many cops out at that time.
4) It's a good time to learn how to navigate DC because of lesson #3 and the fact that there are no other cars on the roads.
5) Why weren't we ever arrested for indecent exposure in college during the original 4 o'clock club? Curious.

We had a great weekend - with lots and lots and lots of cleaning. I'm giving away bags of clothing and did an entire overhaul of the kitchen. It all looks so amazing. The chi is positive, to say the least.

5 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger archana said…

    awww mkp! so much good material in there. i 100% agree on the picking up / dropping off loved ones, it's something our family is big on. ranju's pretty awesome at this too! the story about the old 4 o'clock club also made me laugh... they actually made flashing legal back home when we were in high school. any chance it was legal in your state? haha. and hooray to positive chi! : )

     
  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Sheets said…

    Sweet! I totally understand spending every last minute. It's worth taking the red eye or super late train. Who wants to spend precious awake time travelling when they could be spent with those you love most!

    And double yay to the cleansing! What's your charity of choice?

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger AnuZi said…

    MmmmPai! You are sooo correct about the new 4.00 am club. You can also add my mom on that list...I only did on Monday's and you sound like you are doing the same....but my mom does it everyday!! My dad likes to go into work super early and come back early. My mom however has a more lax schedule yet she wakes up at the unearthly hour to drop him off.
    Its funny I hated Monday's when I used to do the early morning drop offs...not because it was sooo early but because it would depress me that Bhatji was leaving for another week. Ain't love just grand ;o)
    Here's to more of those crappy early morning drop offs, red eye flights and late night drives in thunderstorms - to spend a few precious moments with our loved ones. Sigh...all in the name of love :o)

     
  • At 4:24 PM, Blogger Esha said…

    Hi! You're in DC! Let's get together before I leave. I'd love to meet up :D

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Monica said…

    Oh my goodness ... I think I know which 4:00 club you're talking about, and I am astonished! I never would have imagined you would be a member! (I was always too prude/passed out for that.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home