What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Friday, August 10, 2007

All Types of Strange

I have this strange ability to write a speech in my head literally minutes before I have to deliver it. I've had to do this on so many occasions, too - for work and for personal life. Heck, I wrote Mala's sangeet speech in the parking lot right before I walked into the center (sorry, Mals!). It doesn't faze me at all.

I guess this all came about when my boss told me that she doesn't enjoy public speaking, she doesn't enjoy being in front of a camera and she doesn't even like talking to reporters over the phone. Hence, why she sent me to do media training, so that I could cover for our unit. This is all well and good, but I wonder what the fear is actually derived from. Is it fear of getting up in front of an audience or even deeper - fear of being judged by the audience? Is it fueled by a bad experience or witnessing someone else's bad experience? I've always been curious about this. Any of you have trouble speaking in front of large audiences?

-----------
They always say that you should imagine your audience naked. Does that work?

2 Comments:

  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger archana said…

    i wish i feared public speaking a little more, then perhaps i'd be a touch more articulate when i actually spoke in public :)

    i have horrible stage fright when it comes to other kinds of performances. i almost threw up before our first konk idol performance. to me, it's about it being so personal and raw... for the most part i'm not conscious of judgment, but when i feel like i'm really putting myself out there, it is foremost on my mind. maybe ppl who fear public speaking have a similar problem?

    glad you're blogging again :)

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger Ranjit said…

    I don't know if I have a fear of public speaking, but I am definitely uncomfortable speaking in front of large audiences. I can usually say something to react to someone else or something pretty easily (e.g. making fun of something someone else says), but not coming up with what to say. In fact, even when I talk to my boss or someone at work, I practice what I am going to say, and then when I start talking, the words don't seem to come out. Even if I practice over and over again, when it comes time to actually speak, it never works out well.

    I've never tried picturing the audience naked, but I think that would weird me out more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home