What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Friday, June 01, 2007

You're Next

I used to cringe when I went to an Indian wedding and heard the words "You're Next." This started circa 1999. It does get a little annoying when you're only 19 and people are talking about you getting married and all you want to do is just make it through school. Now that we're engaged nothing comes in the form of question, but more in the form of statement and subtle suggestions with something inane thrown in i.e. "Spring is a nice time to get married, the flowers are blooming." Both question and statement are equally absurd, but it's nice not to have to hear the "you're next"-- and of course, when these words were uttered, I was usually single and those words would just rub it in that my cousin or friend was moving along with their life and leaving me to my singleness. Now, I just feel bad for my younger cousins who are going to start hearing these words soon.

Not the point. Went to Mala's wedding and damn if she didn't look just spectacular. Everything was gorgeous, she was gorgeous, the setup was gorgeous and even A was...well not gorgeous, but handsome. I had a blast hanging out (and sometimes running around) with them before the wedding. I also got the chance to meet many of their friends from college and other Konkanis that I hadn't met before.

What really struck me though is seeing where Mala grew up. I spent most of my days at her parents home in Cali. I could picture a little Mals running around that house with P and playing on the patio. I also got to meet her grandmother (Ammama). It's the little things that end up having so much significace and for me that was the real wedding - when the families got together informally and just had a blast. Of course the Hindu ceremony is nothing to sneeze at - it's full of meaning/symbolism, but in my mind, it was all the interaction between families, extended families and friends who were like family that made it a true marriage.

----------
Mala and A - Congrats! You guys rock!

Mals - I can't believe P used THAT picture of us in the slideshow. haha!

--------
Clarification - the questions I refer to in the beginning weren't clear - I never spelled it out - I'm referring to the ones that are in the family of "Why aren't you married yet?" hahaha - I'm sure all of my ladies have heard something along those lines at one point or another.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Sheets said…

    I saw pics a la facebook... and she looked absolutely STUNNING. If that's even the right word to use. However, I have to say Ms (soon to be Mrs.) Maya... YOU LOOKED FABULOUS YOURSELF!

     
  • At 11:40 AM, Blogger archana said…

    agreed... both mala and you looked incredible!

    but don't worry, you're next :)

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Esha said…

    I know what you mean about hearing "you're next" at only 19. It gets really annoying when you go to the temple gatherings in India and realize that all the older women are checking you out for their sons instead of praying! I find it all a bit bizzare when all I can think about is what my grades are going to look like that semester! :)

    And I'm sure you'll be just as gorgeous of a bride too :D

     
  • At 10:38 PM, Blogger Ranjit said…

    Luckily, I only heard "you're next" once at the wedding...

    Maybe at the next wedding we both attend, we will actually get to hang out!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home