What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Need a Little Direction

As I was walking to the metro from work, I had a guy ask me, "Do you know the way to the metro?" Of course, I said yes and proceeded to give him directions. Afterwards, I thought to myself, "Holy mother, I can do that now." Granted I have been here for three months, I must at least look like I know what I'm doing. I no longer look like a tourist. Am I becoming a DC-ite? That would be so cool.

I'm also starting to see some familiar faces on the metro. I usually take it at the same time every morning and evening and I recognize people. Of course, I would never talk to these people, rather I like to make up my own stories about them. Like the lady that wears the sari and carries a briefcase - we'll call her Lalitha. My story about Lalitha is that she's a woman who, like many that I know, got married quite young and followed her husband here from India. She did some school here just so that she could gain her independence and get a job so as not to spend the entire day in the house. Headstrong, I like that. She couldn't abandon her culture and she didn't want to give up her identity, hence the daily wearing of the sari.

Then sometimes I see an Indian man that is always hanging out with this Indian couple. Here's the story. The couple - who we will call Shankar and Sushila - are married. Their friend, Devdas, is still single. They are all computer software technicians. Not only do they all work together, they all live together since Devdas just recently moved to the states and needed a place to live. There's a love triangle situation, though. Sushila is married to Shankar but loves Devdas. She has loved Devdas since primary school, but would never admit it to herself. She married Shankar because her parents arranged it. Shankar is a good provider when it comes to material possessions, but that is not enough for Sushila. Devdas makes her laugh and smile in a way that no one has before. For all intensive purposes, Shankar loves Sushila. Devdas is gay. He's got a thing for Shankar.

See? I don't need my iPod on the metro. I can just use my ridiculously wild imagination to come up with stories. That's entertaining enough.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Ranjit said…

    Are there only Indian people on the metro? Or are you really just riding a bus in Mumbai and you are pretending you live in DC?

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Jay said…

    However, Shankar is actually the dictator of a small Central American country who is exile after being overthrown in a violent coup. He likes to eat french toast and is currently listening to Cam'Ron's "Killa Season."

    Shit... I've said too much.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home