What's on the menu?

Channa served with a side of bhatura

Sunday, May 07, 2006

One is the lonliest number? really?

"She's deaf." My mother heard this from the kindergarten teacher on two occasions. While other kids were being loud and obnoxious, I was in the corner, playing with blocks all by my lonesome. To humor the teacher, mom got my hearing tested twice, knowing that there was absolutely nothing wrong with me. I wish mom had said, "Yes, it's unfortunate, but these kids aren't as fabulous as my daughter, so she chooses not to interact with them."

At any rate, I've thought about this a lot lately - no, not my fabulous-ness, that's a given (CS - Konkani=fabulous!). I've been thinking about why I wouldn't play with the other kids and why sometimes that's still the case. I think the language barrier was one hurdle when I was younger as English was not my first language. I was also quite an independent child which has translated to me being an independent adult. Then, there's the only child situation. I think this is the reason for all of the above.

Back in college, I noticed how everyone had to do everything together, all the time. How irritating! I know college is a place where you're transitioning, and meeting new people and you need to get to know these people better, especially because you're going to need their notes to study for a test (I think that's the core motivator for most friendships in college). I was nearly suffocated by the clinginess.

I'm not trying to say that I don't like hanging out with my friends. I adore them and enjoy all of the good times. But, for example, if I've planned to go out shopping and I invite someone and they are too busy, I'm not going to let that prevent me from going shopping. My day continues, where I know someone else's would end. And they would be pissed, whereas I am perfectly content. I just have noticed recently how comfortable I am in my own skin (though this may have always been the case). Sometimes you have to go it alone and that, in my humble opinion, isn't such a bad thing.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:04 PM, Blogger Sheets said…

    MKP! I just discovered your blog... and you are fantastic. I totally feel what you have to say! Although I've always had my sister... sometimes being with yourself is better than being with others who are just there to do you a favour! Power to you. I'm excited to keep reading :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home